Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Sun Soaked Sundays

Finally we have found a friend with a pool. Or rather, he's been our friend all along and he's always had a pool but it was his best kept secret until his parents went out of town. We all headed to Alex's place early afternoonish on Sunday to soak our selves in his building's tiny roof top pool and to catch a few sun blocked (in my case) rays before the football game started. The boys drank beer while Camilla and I slowly sipped our white wine and I tried to do laps that were about four breast strokes long.
This was what Sundays were truly made for. When the boys went downstairs Camilla, in her black strapless top and snake skin bottom, filled up our wine glasses and I left the protection of the shade for some afternoon sun now unashamed of how small my new Argentine bathing suit bottom is (they get a lot small but they get a lot bigger too). We chatted about everything and anything and eventually moved to the balcony in Alex's place as the sun disappeared behind a building. I was set to meet people back at the house around 7:30, so I cracked open a beer and took it for the road as Camilla and I fled the air conditioned football crazed apartment into the simmering summer heat. As we rounded the corner I spotted the 10 bus waiting at the light, left a quick smooch on Camilla's cheek and ran for it. I hadn't taken the 10 in ages and as I settled into my solo seat I leaned my elbow on the wide open window and let the breeze cool me as I sipped the rest of my beer. The round about route brought me past old places I hadn't visited in a while and with them came memories from a year ago. A smoothie with friends over there, a sunset walk over there. Everything was sun soaked and I was filled with an overwhelming happiness as I breathed in the Buenos Aires air that has probably taken years off my life but in that moment it smelled as sweat as the countryside.
Adrenaline pumping, I hopped off the bus and all the way home where I found Santi and friends on the roof. We headed to the amphitheater in Puerto Madero with snacks and beer and found it full of people and an Argentine swing band that played their own songs sprinkled with covers translated into Spanish. I danced my pants off, and although no one else in the crowd was really dancing everyone in my group joined me and we danced the night away.
Eventually we made our way to meet up with Santi's New Yorker friend David at a place with Karaoke where our new housemate Leo and I did an amazing rendition of "Dancing Queen" by Abba and Stef did "I Will Survive" with me as back up dancer. To say the least we had done so much dancing I can't believe we walked all the way home and neither could Santi. He tried to convince us to cab it until we were about two blocks away but we made it and arrived exhausted but happy with how amazing the day had been.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Shelley Rolf said...

you are so descriptive julia. i hope you (and josh) can find your way to a computer to update the blog while you embark on the next adventure. we will be ever so eager to hear "what's up". besos to you both. xoxo

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Ann Behar said...

Nice, Jules!